I am new to marketing my fiction books but I have some experience with marketing non-fiction books. I am realizing that there is a difference between the two. Primarily because non-fiction books are beneficial in people’s career (the ones I have written) whereas reading fiction books is a hobby. Therefore, it is harder to sell fiction books as compared to non-fiction books.
Here are a few pointers to consider:
- Book cover matters! Choose a well-designed cover which is not too busy and is eye-catching.
- Promise only what your book delivers. Don’t promise the world in your synopsis.
- Offer something unique in your story to stand out from the crowd. Just because fifty shades worked for E.L. James, doesn’t mean you offer the same thing. Consider offering something unique of your own.
- Try not to cheat the reader. If it is a short story, spell it out. This builds a trust towards the author.
- Be sincere in your marketing efforts and try and relate to the readers.
- Marketing is tougher than writing books, therefore you need to be patient and keep at it. You owe it yourself for having written a good book.