Today, I am interviewing author Sundari Venkatraman. She has a passion for reading and writing, let’s get to know her better.
- Welcome Sundari! Tell us, how did you come up with the concept of your book? What was the inspiration behind it?
I was watching a TV serial based on child marriage. Not a regular TV fan, I just happened across this one while browsing channels one day. I was shocked to see child marriage portrayed so casually. The worst part was that the child bride goes to live with her in-laws and becomes a part and parcel of that family. Checking on the internet, I found that child marriages are still quite common in rural India. That’s when I decided that I must write a book on this premise. But I couldn’t just sit back and watch my heroine go to live in her husband’s home at the tender age of eight. That’s how the bridegroom decided to run away giving birth to The Runaway Bridegroom.
- That’s very interesting. I love the cover as well! Which scene in your book is your favorite? Why?
How does an author choose a favorite scene from her own book? Tough! But since you ask, there is a dream scene towards the end that seemed so real. I enjoyed the way it fell into place when I wrote it.
- How do you go about developing characters of your book?
I don’t develop my characters. I create them and let them loose in my head. I just sit back watching the film before writing out the scenes.
- That’s instinctive. Tell us, what do you find most appealing about being a writer?
Playing God! I just love doing that. I can create people and situations that suit my taste absolutely. Does that make me a megalomaniac I wonder!
- Do you have any book marketing tip you want to share with your fellow authors?
Social Media is the best marketing platform there is. Use it to the best of your ability. I would like to share a blog that I wrote about this: http://sundarivenkatraman.blogspot.in/2014/02/sharing-social-media-marketing.html
Thank you, Sundari, for the marketing tip! It was great chatting with you!
Sundari‘s Book Links:
Social Media Links: