Author Anita Badhwar publishes children’s books. Lets chat with her today to get to know her better.
- Welcome Anita! Please tell us what inspired you to write children’s books?
I was inspired to write children’s books because I have always enjoyed creative writing. I’ve always felt that writing came very naturally to me, and that it was something that I excelled at. Also, I was motivated to write the Little Princess Rani and the Palace Adventures series because I found that there were very few Indian-themed books in the market for children.
- I agree, it would have been nice to read your books to my daughter when she was little. Tell us a little more about the Little Princess Rani series?
All of the books in this series are based on my childhood experiences. As a child, I remember celebrating Holi in India, which gave me the inspiration to write Rani Celebrates Holi. My second book, Rani and the Safari Surprise! was inspired by a visit to Jim Corbett National Park and Rani Visits the Taj Mahal was based on a more recent trip to Agra, India. Rani Saves Diwali is based on how Diwali is celebrated in my family. My mother is a great source of information and my kids also provide great inspiration for some of the story-lines.
- We all draw inspiration from others. Which author has inspired you the most? Why?
I think Ludwig Bemelmans, author of the Madeline series has inspired me the most. I remember reading the series in French in Canada (where I grew up) and enjoying reading all the books and simple illustrations.
- What has been your most rewarding experience as an author?
My most rewarding experience is seeing people who don’t know much about India end up with a better understanding about India, Indian culture and festivals by reading my books.
- That’s great! Do you have any book marketing tip you want to share with your fellow authors?
I think social media is the best place to promote and market your books. Of course, you need to decide which of the social media links work best for your book genre, which takes some research.
- Which book are you working on next? Do you want to share a glimpse of it?
I haven’t quite decided yet on a theme for my fifth book of the Little Princess Rani series, but I am leaning towards writing about another festival.
It was great talking to you Anita. Good luck with all your projects!
Anita’s Book Link: Amazon.com
Social media Links: